Max Hutchinson was a founding member of the Society of Designers for Industry in Australia. In 1959, he opened Gallery A, Melbourne. In 1963, he opened Gallery A in Sydney. A Hutchinson chair won the Norman Myer Design Award in 1965. In 1968, he left the gallery and moved to New York. In 1968, he opened the Max Hutchinson Gallery in New York where he continued his career as a gallery director and curator until his death.