Charles Madden was a Sydney architect who partnered with Walter Bunning after they both finished working on Commonwealth defence projects during World War II. Key projects by Bunning and Madden were Anzac House (1956) and Liner House (1960).
Charles Madden (1908, 1909 or 1910-1960 or 1965) graduated from the University of Sydney in 1930 after some time at the Sydney Technical College, then worked in London for Verity and Beverley and Sir John Burnett Tait & Lorne. During the war, Madden was employed on defence work for the Commonwealth Department of the Interior, then worked on camouflage projects for the RAAF. He became a chartered architect in 1940. In 1946, he began a partnership with Walter Bunning. Bunning and Madden’s major projects included Anzac House (1956), Grace Bros Parramatta store (1956), the Nuclear Science Institute and canteen at Lucas Heights (1960), Liner House (1960), and the Hayden-Allen Building at the Australian National University in Canberra (1960). He was last registered with the Board of Architects in 1965. Source —Bunning and Madden. 1970. The Work of Bunning and Madden: Architects and Town Planners. Sydney: Bunning and Madden. In the library of Julie Cracknell. This lists his birthdate as 1910. —NSW Architects Registration Board database, December 2004. Here his birthdate is listed as 1909; however sometimes the listings were dated for 1 January of the year after the actual date.