Max Hutchinson was a founding member of the Society of Designers for Industry in Australia. In 1959, he opened Gallery A, Melbourne. In 1963, he opened Gallery A in Sydney. A Hutchinson chair won the Norman Myer Design Award in 1965. In 1968, he left the gallery and moved to New York. In 1968, he opened the Max Hutchinson Gallery in New York where he continued his career as a gallery director and curator until his death.
Max Hutchinson established a business in Melbourne, designing and producing furniture, interiors, displays, exhibitions and parade floats (date unknown). He was a founding member of the Society of Designers for Industry in Australia and examples of his furniture are known. In 1959, he opened Gallery A, in the showroom of his furniture factory, managed by Clement Meadmore. In 1963, he opened Gallery A in Sydney. Hutchinson’s furniture design was recognised by the Norman Myer Design Award in 1965. In 1968, he turned the directorship of this gallery over to two partners and moved to New York. In 1968, he opened the Max Hutchinson Gallery at 127 Greene St. in New York City. In 1974, he expanded across the street to open Sculpture Now at 142 Greene St., In 1976, the Max Hutchinson Gallery moved across the street to larger premises at 138-140 Greene St., focusing on small-scale works and painting. In 1985, Max closed his Sotto gallery and moved his activity to Sullivan County where he created an 88 acre outdoor sculpture gallery on an old farm in Kenoza Lake. Here he sited and exhibited the sculptures of over 30 different international artists. He was a founder and President of the Midsummer Chamber Music Festival. (drawn from obituary in The Times-Herald Record, upstate New York, 30 April 1999)
^ “Australian Design Achievements at the Design Centre. “Building. Lighting. Engineering”, June 1965, p.39.