(56 works, mostly drawings, including three small sketchbooks; one drawing is of the Midway Plaisance at the Chicago World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893, there are caricatures and portraits mostly done in London, self portraits including one with Whistler, possibly original drawings for Punch (London), cover illustrations (e.g. Drury Lane Theatre Royal programme) and copies of Guttersnipes and Looking Glass
'Lady of the House and Bore’ 1898 Bulletin original, gift of Les Tanner 1971, & 3 others
'Things we see when we come out without our gun’ 1888, Pd 721
The Art Gallery of New South Wales began in the 1870s as an aspect of the Academy of Art. Later it became known as the National Art Gallery of NSW. This name persisted beyond Federation in 1901. It was given its present name in 1958.
It remains the principal collecting and exhibiting body in NSW and is governed by the Art Gallery of New South Wales Act of 1980.
(includes w/c & gouache caricature of Henry Parkes purchased at auction of J.F. Archibald’s estate 1919, 'Surrender of Hedication’, pencil caricature of Parkes acq. 1978, 'The Life Story of Parkes’, pen & ink, presented Mrs M.G. Cater 1955, and Mr. Allpress and others, gift of Leslie Board 1923)
(2 English drawings)