Russell Jack (1925–) began his architectural studies at Sydney Technical College in 1946, after studying freehand drawing and building construction by correspondence while employed by the RAAF during the Second World War. From 1946 to 1952, he worked for Rudder Littlemore and Rudder, then, after winning the Byera Hadley Travelling Scholarship, travelled to Britain with his architect wife Pamela Jack and their architect friend, Robert Woodward. In London, he worked for Tripe and Wakeham for several months, then visited the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, France and Italy. After another few months at Tripe and Wakeham, the Jacks travelled to Scandinavia. After returning to Sydney at the end of 1953, he spent another 2.5 years with Rudder, Littlemore and Rudder, before founding a new practice with former fellow student John Allen – under the name John Allen and Russell C Jack. At that time, Jack had several houses to design and Allen had some factories. In 1958, he won the NSW RAIA’s Sulman Medal for his family house at Boundary Road, Wahroonga. This was preceded by the Harris house at Beacon Hill and the Montgomery house at Avalon Beach (both 1955, designed while at Ruddler Littlemore and Rudder) and was followed by the Palmer house in Turramurra (1959), the Jack house, ‘Elvo’, near Batehaven (1960), the Tuckson house in Wahroonga (1961) and the Kobin house, Wollongong (1963). In 1957, Keith Cottier joined the practice as a third-year student and in 1965, he became a partner in Allen Jack + Cottier. Jack began teaching design at the University of NSW retired in 1976 to become a professor at the University of New South Wales. He gained his M.Arch there in 1980 and retired from the full-time staff in 1990, continuing as a visiting professor.
—Howells, Trevor. 2003. Allen Jack + Cottier 1952-2002. Sydney: Focus Publishing and Allen Jack + Cottier.


Davina Jackson
Date written:
Last updated: